Thursday, January 16, 2014

#RiskRejection--Week One

Well, Week One is under our belts and we lived to tell about it. For me, I finally took those first steps towards starting my business. I am a crafter--I make things, many things, out of anything. That's one of two things I've always been told I was good at: crafting, and writing. Right now, I'm mostly into paper things, and I have two distinct customers in mind for my business. The first is general retail, like a gift shop. For that...

  • I finally called the manager of the shop I'd like to sell my items in. I got her voice mail, and tried not to dwell on the impending rejection I was certain was coming. :-)
That was a huge risk for me, because that makes it real. Dreaming is easy. Wondering "what might have been" and envisioning a grand future is easy. Doing the work, taking the risk--it changes everything. You no longer have the luxury of imagining how happy that manager would be to have your handiwork--you find out FOR SURE if she would or not. And if that answer is not, then that dream will die. And some people are so afraid of having that little bit of hope extinguished that they won't try. But we are being brave and risking rejection right? So I called!
  • She called back the next day, was very interested, answered my questions (with good answers I needed!), and asked for photos or a web site to see my work. I was so excited, I went right to work creating and designed this brand new "thing." 
  •  
  • And for good measure, here's another type item I hope to sell....

  • I shared it to our little Facebook group, risking rejection again, to get some real-world feedback. 
  • And I took it to work today, too. In the REAL WORLD, Amy Sullivan!!  All good so far! But now I have to see if I can make enough profit wholesaling it to be worth my time.
  • My few photos are awful, so I emailed the manager this morning to see if I could just bring some items by in person next week. She hasn't answered. So again, I am trying not to dwell on the possibility of impending doom!
My other customer will be brides. I really enjoy thinking about products for weddings--bouquets, table decor, favors...all that romantic stuff. I love it! So, I have a former coworker getting married soon, and I thought I could help her with that kind of thing for her wedding, but I wasn't brave enough to just come out and say it really well. I hinted, but she'd just say, "My mom is so crafty. I'll get her to make so-and-so for me." So, I let it go. Not my wedding, right? But, I can help throw her bridal shower! And, because I am the crafty one at our workplace, today I was asked to make a money/advice tree for the shower. 
  • So I just got a chance to work on something I will enjoy, and maybe get some nice product shots out of that I can use for my business. Score!
  • I emailed a group that is putting on a Bridal Expo in my area soon, to ask about advertising and getting involved. The answers were almost immediate, but pretty abrupt: "What do you do?" "How long have you been in business?" I told them I was a start-up and what I would be offering, and got an immediate answer that their group was for seasoned professionals only, with at least two years experience. OK, fine. So I asked if they knew of any opportunities/publications/conventions I could try where I could get started? And then there were no more answers, and that was several days ago. Crickets were chirping, and now they are just dead.
  • So, I was rejected, but I learned that those folks in that group aren't particularly nice and a bit snooty, and when I am established, I don't think I would want to be affiliated with a group like that. Maybe that's just hurt feelings talking, but there's just no call to be rude. Everyone was a start-up once...
I also reached out to the probable logo designer I mentioned last week. I told her that if I actually had a sale, then I was in and would become her paying customer. I really like her. :-)

Then, to keep the whole "you may think one way but God has other plans thing" alive too, I got an email calling for submissions for this great crafting web site next month. And the crafty things I do? All fit right in with what they want. So I can craft it, write about, and maybe get some exposure. So my risk for next week will be submitting my idea....

What about you? Have you taken any risks this week??

16 comments:

  1. Yay! You did it! So happy you took the risk and stepped out. Cheering you on! (And I love the designs!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. Look at you. A bridal expo? You need to get my favorite light (on Pinterest!) ready. I love your work, but I agree she needs to see it in person. Oh, and while you aren't busy calling and crafting and designing, you need to get more photos of your work to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will see it in person--on Monday! She answered! Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Awesome! You encouraged me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. You know my favorite line is actually this: "Everyone was a start-up once..." So often, people who have "made it" forget this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? One day those snooty folks may want to be at MY expo :-)

      Delete
  5. I love paper art. About the only craft I have time for right now is scrapbooking, but I'd really like to get into quilling. The website thing is fantastic! Proud of you for getting out there. Especially the Expo--that had to be scary. It's kind of a snooty industry. But you will make brides happy and be kind to them as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried quilling--it's harder than it looks! But, I do want to try it again. There are some AMAZING quilled pieces I've seen.

      Delete
  6. Awwww so nice to see good ole texture in a world of screens - tiny screens and big screens…we've all got our heads in them so it's refreshing to see beautiful color in a 3-D form like what you are creating. Blessings to you and lots of sales!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of this, Beth-- the victories and the rejection (which I still vote is a victory because you risked it!) Praying for your meeting with the shop and for this to be a great new God adventure for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Sharita! This group has been such an encouragement for me. Feels like I know all of you! I hope everyone is feeling the same way and really being empowered by all the prayers going up for us--I know I am!

      Delete
  8. Go Beth, go! It's super tough to start a new business, so I'm so proud of you for being so brave. It's really inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are inspiring each other--I love this group!

      Delete

So, what do you have to say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails