Wednesday, January 22, 2014

#RiskRejection--Week Two

No, I am not thinking up creative titles. :-)

So, wow, how has another week passed already? Time flies when you're taking risks, I guess!

This week was full of big ones for me. Let's see what I can remember!


  • I did email that web site with my idea to be a contributor in February. I got a very nice "sorry, we're all booked" message the next day. At least there was closure. Even though it was just pitching an idea, it was hard. I was playing the whole "I'm starting a new business" angle, hoping they would have mercy on me or something. But they didn't. And at the time, I still didn't actually have that business, so I was truly going out on a limb.
  • I met with the gift shop manager on Monday. This was the place that I've been dreaming about selling in for like, FOREVER. So sitting down face-to-face was HUGE. I was completely at peace for the whole thing. Normally in situations like that, I am a sweaty, stomach-rumbling mess. But not this time.
  • But, the meeting wasn't quite what I thought. There were no cutthroat negotiations over price.She asked what I could do, and I pulled numbers out of thin air. I was completely unprepared for that part, and knew it going in. And she just wrote down what I said. 
  • She certainly seemed interested and told me that she was working on an order.
  • I panicked, because I would make little money, or maybe even lose some, if I went ahead with the prices I gave her. Once I looked over my costs and all, it wasn't pretty. So that left me with one choice....
  • ...so I wrote her back, begging for mercy, and told her that my prices weren't going to work and we needed to discuss them again. I did NOT want to do that, and she may tell me to hit the road and not buy anything. But I have to make a profit to be in business, so I did the mind-numbing, terribly difficult, RISKY thing and told her that we had to renegotiate. I just sent that message a little while ago, and won't know what she says until tomorrow.
  • But before I sent that, after she said she had an order, I placed an order of my own, for a premade logo. I got a proof within an hour, and have already seen a revision. That's probably all I get for what I paid, but I like it, and it will work for now. Hopefully, I will still need it!!
Goodness, that's enough for one week. I'm exhausted. :-) And feeling guilty that I haven't been more encouraging to the rest of my group while I was busy with all my stuff.  Sorry girls--I will do better, I promise!!!

Come back for another installment of my business saga next week!

15 comments:

  1. Way to be brave!! Have you heard back? How is it going?? Oh, I want to know how this works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was understanding (but a little disappointed, I think). Still, she said to send her a revised price list and we would go from there. So I'm still alive!! Now I just have to really get my prices together this weekend and give it another go.

      Delete
  2. I am so excited for you and can't wait to see what happens!! Good for you for stepping out in faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on! You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Don't be hard on yourself. This is a learning curve - I've owned a business and believe me, I know how hard it is to figure out prices based on overhead, supplies, time, etc. You are doing a great job!!!!!! Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is hard! But, that's the next step, so that's what I'll do. I'm ready for the fun part--filling an order!!

      Delete
  5. You are one person in this little group who is not messing around. You are running with this.

    You are such a dreamer, and I love to see all the action you are putting behind those big dreams of yours. I am praying you keep this energy up. I think it's awesome and contagious to everyone around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love you and that encouraging spirit of yours! Thanks for being so supportive!

      Delete
  6. Awesome! Super inspiring! *High five* I can't wait to see what's in store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I want to know what happens too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth - You are the epitome of perseverance and determination! I need some of that right now! Love how you don't give up, how you advocate for what you want and need, and how you recreate what is needed to be successful! Great work girl! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jen! It almost felt like a test--would I be willing to fight for what I needed? I didn't want to, but I had to. Even if the manager isn't interested in doing business anymore, I know I did the right thing. I have a new appreciation (in a different context) for the phrase "risky business!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your crafts are beautiful! Hope you get good news about pricing and the order for the store you spoke with!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you have to say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails