So, wow, how has another week passed already? Time flies when you're taking risks, I guess!
This week was full of big ones for me. Let's see what I can remember!
- I did email that web site with my idea to be a contributor in February. I got a very nice "sorry, we're all booked" message the next day. At least there was closure. Even though it was just pitching an idea, it was hard. I was playing the whole "I'm starting a new business" angle, hoping they would have mercy on me or something. But they didn't. And at the time, I still didn't actually have that business, so I was truly going out on a limb.
- I met with the gift shop manager on Monday. This was the place that I've been dreaming about selling in for like, FOREVER. So sitting down face-to-face was HUGE. I was completely at peace for the whole thing. Normally in situations like that, I am a sweaty, stomach-rumbling mess. But not this time.
- But, the meeting wasn't quite what I thought. There were no cutthroat negotiations over price.She asked what I could do, and I pulled numbers out of thin air. I was completely unprepared for that part, and knew it going in. And she just wrote down what I said.
- She certainly seemed interested and told me that she was working on an order.
- I panicked, because I would make little money, or maybe even lose some, if I went ahead with the prices I gave her. Once I looked over my costs and all, it wasn't pretty. So that left me with one choice....
- ...so I wrote her back, begging for mercy, and told her that my prices weren't going to work and we needed to discuss them again. I did NOT want to do that, and she may tell me to hit the road and not buy anything. But I have to make a profit to be in business, so I did the mind-numbing, terribly difficult, RISKY thing and told her that we had to renegotiate. I just sent that message a little while ago, and won't know what she says until tomorrow.
- But before I sent that, after she said she had an order, I placed an order of my own, for a premade logo. I got a proof within an hour, and have already seen a revision. That's probably all I get for what I paid, but I like it, and it will work for now. Hopefully, I will still need it!!
Goodness, that's enough for one week. I'm exhausted. :-) And feeling guilty that I haven't been more encouraging to the rest of my group while I was busy with all my stuff. Sorry girls--I will do better, I promise!!!
Come back for another installment of my business saga next week!