Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I'm Not the Resolution-Making Type


I follow several blogs, and many are posting their resolutions for 2008. I've given up on resolutions. I just feel like a failure when I break one in the first three days :-)

Well, I made it two days on the Jennifer-Garner-3-day-detox/fat flush-liver thing. And kept off the three pounds. And then I quit. Because I had to have my black-eyed peas and collard greens :-)


Thank goodness God gives us more than one chance to fail. All we have to do is ask His forgiveness and we are washed clean, new like the freshly-fallen snow I drove through on my way to work today. I can mess up as soon as I get there, and ask forgiveness, and I have it. I can say something ugly, and ask forgiveness, and it it is forgotten by God. He doesn't hold it against me. I can focus on myself, which I frequently do. And when the Holy Spirit convicts me of my self-centeredness, I fall at His feet, begging yet again. I yell at my kids in anger or frustration, and my Father doesn't yell at me in return. I just cry out, "Father, I'm sorry!" And I am redeemed.

Having this knowledge doesn't give me permission to sin, but it frees me from the need to be perfect. Free from feeling like a sinful failure. Sinning after being "saved" isn't like breaking a resolution. We aren't going to be locked out of heaven, and God isn't going to forget about us or hold a grudge.

Thankfully, this is one truth that I have learned. But there are many more that God still has to reveal to me. I know that I still have much spiritual growth ahead of me. I want it. I need it. My very soul craves it.

So that is my goal for this year. Not a resolution to spend more quiet time, or to read the Bible in a year, though I am going to try that. I'm not going to exercise more or weigh less. Not going to "try" to do anything, except be the girl God made me to be. I simply want more of Him this year.

So, all of you with resolutions, I wish you the best. Good luck. I'll still love you if you flop in three days like me. :-)

As for me, if you need me, I'll be curled up in my Daddy's lap, trying to get to know him just a little better.

3 comments:

  1. Precious sweet friend! Absolutely precious. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the comment on my blog. I always look forward to hearing from you.
    Sweet Sweet blessings as you sit and learn in Daddy's lap~ it's the best place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!

    I've also given up resolutions, not so much because I fail, but because I want to live a more consistent life. I'm getting off the roller coaster of spiritual highs followed by spiritual lows. I just want to walk day by day with my God and grow closer to him with each breath I take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I hate resolutions also! I just go for simple ones - like trying to make my bed every day.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you have to say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails