Monday, February 4, 2008

Just a Tad Bit Silly...

Ok. I'm still blaming this on the cold medicines...

I'm finally trying to read the Bible in a year. I know there's tons of good stuff in there that I've just never laid eyes on. And I must say, I haven't found it in Leviticus just yet. One more chapter about sacrificing animals because you have a heat rash and I was going to lose it. Seriously. I mean, did acne-prone teenage Israelites get quarantined for a week every time they had a breakout? And then have to sacrifice livestock to get to rejoin the family? And we think our teens are stressed!



Photo courtesy of Dubuque Community Schools

I finally got to verses that had nothing to do with sacrificing anything. Here's where we're told to respect our elders, and even get a glimpse about God's view on immigration. Really.

Fortunately, this little chapter caught my attention today, just in the nick of time. Either that, or right after I went over the edge. Not sure yet.

So Leviticus 19:28 says, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

Did you get that? "No tattoos. God said so." Well, I never seriously considered getting a tattoo, and it seems that's a good thing. I just never realized that the Bible actually talked about tattoos.

But this next one was the kicker. Leviticus 19:27 (I know it came first!) says, "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

So I'm going to tell you the first thing that popped into my head when I read that. Try not to laugh. Well, I can't hear you through my blog anyway, so go ahead. I did.

I read that and thought, "No mullets. God said."



Maybe Leviticus isn't so bad after all...

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... just lost my comment.

    I was catching up on my reading. Looks like I've missed a bunch. I hope your cold is better and congrats to your winner!

    I'm personally not in favor of tatoos - mainly because of the main factor - I mean... they don't give you an epidural for a tatoo!

    Otherwise, I believe the Bible spoke against tatoos because in those days they were used to show allegiance to some pagan god. I don't think a small heart or flower on an ankle would be the same. Thank goodness we have freedom in Christ! I could never make it if I had to follow all the rules in Leviticus! I still don't understand why people want tatoos in the first place, though. Oh... the pain... Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I never thought of it that way!!!! I always knew I never liked the mullet, now I have scriptural reasoning to back it up!!!

    Thanks for stopping by the blog, I never heard of 100 days of school either until my son was in Kindergarten. He's now in 3rd grade and he didn't even know it was 100 days of school!!! Guess they won't do much for Dr Seuss either.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...great sense of humour and I had never heard of a mullet before...sounds good to me...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you have to say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails