Saturday, January 30, 2010

Time, time, time


OK, FINALLY, like I promised.

To keep this post from rambling forever, I'm just going to get right to it:

I don't give God enough of my time.

I think, "Wow, I should write that article/blog post/writing prompt exercise I've been thinking about today." Which leads to to my computer, right into the jaws of evil.

I am tempted to do anything BUT write once I sit down. Facebook, games, reading blogs, checking email - all these things beckon to me and as a result, I am bearing very little fruit in my Christian life.

I'm still pondering this verse in James that I mentioned earlier: "Remember, it is a sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." James 4:17

Maybe "pondering" isn't the right word. "Convicted" is better, actually, as hard as that is to admit. I have realized in the last few weeks that I have, unfortunately, regressed spiritually.

In an effort to start growing again and improve my spiritual health, I need to start doing what God put me here to do. Bear some fruit. I happen to think part of that means writing.

The thought that's really been on my mind is "How much time am I giving to God?" The answer is not pretty. Especially when I compare it to how much time I spend surfing the web, reading email, or playing games on Facebook.

What I'd like to do is tithe my time. Give God 10% of it. That works out to 2.4 hours (144 minutes) a day, or 16.8 hours a week. Sounds like an enormous amount, right?

Yeah, a colossal waste of time in most of our cases. I can't imagine how productive I would be if I wrote over 2 hours a day!

In reality, I don't know what this will look like. What will count as "time for God" remains to be seen. But anything I try is a step in the right direction.

So, there's going to be some changes around here, if the Lord gives me the strength to do it! I will either be setting a timer to control how much time I spend in non-writing computer activities, or I will refrain from them altogether. That second option will be a much bigger challenge, but I already know that this will be a day-by-day test.

So, how about you - how much time do you give to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you have to say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails