Friday, June 13, 2008

Welcome to the Enchanted Forest!

That's what I affectionately call my home. Just missing enough trees to build the house! I've decided to give you the Garden Tour of my place today, thanks to The Preacher's Wife.



Shall we begin?

We have lots of shade so things don't grow as well as I would like. Like my rose bush here:


(Isn't time lapse great?)
Not much of a bush. Just that one flower. This plant is maybe 3 years old, and that's still all I have. This bush has been mowed over several times, crushed by a falling oak tree, and stepped on by someone who shall remain nameless. And I still got this beautiful and oh-so-sweet-smelling rose...maybe next year will be "the year" that I get two :-)

I have some veggies trying to grow on my deck, but I'm not showing you those. They're puny :-( But this guy isn't:



These birdhouses were made for me last year by my littlest boys for Mother's Day. I was about to take them down and throw them out this year when I discovered that some tiny little bird (a finch maybe?) had moved into the purple one. So they stayed...



This is my shade garden. It used to be a dumping ground for the 235 million leaves we have to rake every fall. It was a CHORE to prepare, because it was (and still is) full of tree roots, rocks, clay soil, and worms. Lots of worms. Yuk! But it looks much nicer now! This is my "God place." I never fail to feel close to Him when I'm out here.



Here's a closer look at what's growing in it, but don't ask me what they are. Because, um, I don't know:








I love to listen to my waterfall out here....



Here's my nice lush hosta bed: the ONLY plant I can grow well :-)



My feeble attempt at growing veggies in the ground:

The tall plant on the right is yellow tomatoes, with a pumpkin vine behind it. The others would be red tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers and beans if they would grow. I'm not a very good gardener! Plus, we just don't have good place for veggies but I had to try!

And in honor of Father's Day this weekend, I'll leave you with a parting shot of my husband's favorite part of our outdoor space:


Thanks for visiting my gardens today! Y'all come back now, hear? :-)

14 comments:

  1. Love your "God place"! I wish we had your trees, even if it meant raking. (Leaf mulch is good stuff, by the way!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the bird houses too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so peaceful and serene there! You've done a beautiful job in spite of all the trees. We live "in the woods" too (even though it in the city limits). And we have live oaks, which lose leaves year round.

    Happy raking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some very pretty flowers for all the shade you are dealing with. I thought it was very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that shade garden! I can't even imagine how hard it was to dig all that - That's what I use the hubby and boys for :))

    And the grill? Classic. Loved that!

    I'm so glad you invited us over..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice!!!
    Love your bloggy background. Did you dress up just for the garden par-tay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely! I can just imagine how tranquil and relaxing it is to roam through your enchanted forest.
    And the grill....ha! My hubby's favorite part of the yard, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gardens are great. I just love that waterfall! We have lots of hostas too - aren't they great?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, the birdhouses are my favorite part. You're lucky to have so many trees. Love the hostas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You DO grow Hostas well! They are beautiful. Love the waterfall... another addition I'd love to make to my yard.

    Thanks for the tour! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is beautiful!
    I love the bird houses and the fact that a little bird is in there makes it even better :)

    Thanks for the tour
    God bless
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your yard looks quite enchanting. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you have to say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails