Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blog Action Day 2008 - Poverty

I, as a 34 year old woman, can honestly say I have never experienced poverty. I have been abundantly blessed financially my whole life.

So what do I know about poverty?

I know that just because I have never lived through it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I know that as one individual I am powerless to eradicate it.

But I also know that I, as one person, can make a difference for someone who is unfortunate enough to endure it every day.

How?

I sponsor a child through Compassion International, a child focused, church based, Christ centered ministry releasing children from poverty.

There are over 2,000 references to children and poverty in the bible. (Read some of them yourself here.) As a Christian, I have no choice but to help those less fortunate. Compassion offers a real-life way for me to reach out to someone in need.

My sponsorship dollars help fund a community center where basic needs are met for many children in the community. "My" child is given nutritious meals that her family probably cannot afford. She is educated. And she is taught about the love of God.

I can give her financial gifts throughout the year for birthdays and holidays, which is spent on things that she needs. I can even give a Family Gift that everyone in her household can benefit from, and not only her.

Poverty is everywhere, whether you see it up close and personal daily or not. You can make a difference.




Use these links to learn more about poverty and Compassion International:

Blog Action Day home page

Compassion International child sponsorship page

Child Sponsorship explained

Compassion International videos on YouTube

Today is a great day to start making a difference, one child at a time...




2 comments:

So, what do you have to say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails